We all know that identity theft is happening at an alarming rate. With identity theft on the rise, it is important that each individual do everything they can to protect their personal information.
An identity thief takes your personal information and uses it without your knowledge.
These ten tips will help with your personal check protection and ultimately to avoid identity theft.
- Protect your social security number. Don’t carry your social security card in your wallet.
- Never give out your personal information in response to a request to verify your account number or password. Legitimate companies do not request this kind of information in this way.
- As soon as you receive them, carefully review your monthly accounts, credit card statements and utility bills for unauthorized charges.
- For ultimate personal check protection, be sure to only carry personal identification and credit cards you actually need in your purse or wallet. If your I.D. or credit cards are lost or stolen, notify the creditors immediately.
- Store personal information in a safe place and shred or tear up documents you don’t need. Shred charge receipts, copies of credit applications, insurance forms, bank checks and statements, expired credit cards and credit offers before you
put them in the trash.
- Order your free copy of your credit report from three credit reporting agencies (Equifax, Experian, TransUnion) every year and make sure all the information is correct. Look for indications of fraud.
- Ask questions whenever you are asked to share personal information that seems inappropriate for the transaction. Ask how the information will be used, how it will be protected and if it will be shared. If you aren’t satisfied with the answers, consider taking your business elsewhere.
- Keep a list of all your credit cards and bank accounts, with account numbers, expiration dates and credit limits. Keep all the telephone numbers of customer service and fraud departments as well and store these lists in a very safe place.
- For personal check protection, when you order new checks, be sure to ask when you can expect delivery. If you mailbox is not secure, then ask to pick up the checks instead of having them delivered to your home.
- Limit the information on your checks. Never have your driver’s license number or social security number imprinted on your checks. For personal check protection, you may want to consider having your first initial and last name included rather than your whole name so that if someone did get one of your checks, they would not know your full name.
It is so important that everyone take diligent steps to protect their identity, especially with ordering personal checks. Follow the tips above and you can help protect your personally identifiable information and ensure that your identity or your credit have not been compromised.
One easy way to ensure unauthorized charges don’t occur on any of your accounts is to order and use custom printed personal checks instead of credit cards. Personal checks require a signed piece of picture identification, which makes it more difficult for someone to steal your identity use your checks.
Order personal checks from Carousel Checks online today, and remember to practice the tips noted above. If you take the steps to ensure your identity is protected then you will have taken a positive step to protecting yourself against check forgery and fraud.